Dear Brothers and Sisters,
It is an ongoing effort for us to make sure we are providing you with a best-in-class benefits program through the union. We are proud to offer you new coverage options from Colonial Life. As you are likely already aware, Colonial Life is a market leader in designing, offering and servicing high-quality lines of insurance coverage. Please take some time now to review our new voluntary benefit options. The short-term disability plan and permanent whole life insurance plan highlighted below are being offered to you on a guaranteed issue basis for this open enrollment. That means you will qualify for coverage without any medical underwriting and no one can be declined. Premium payment for any voluntary coverage will be made through the convenience of checking account EFT or credit/debit card. The frequency of payment will be weekly; 52 times per year. We look forward to introducing you to Colonial Life and we encourage you to learn more about these valuable additional coverage options.
Thank you for your hard work!
Craig A. Pinkham
UWUA Local 369 – Secretary-Treasurer
Short Term Disability Insurance Permanent Whole Life Insurance
Eligible Employee Description 20 hrs / week Eligible Employee Description 20 hrs / week
Monthly Benefit Maximum - % 60% of gross pay Guaranteed Issue Benefit - $ $100,000
Monthly Maximum Benefit - $ $6,500 per month Guaranteed Issue Cost - $ Up to $22 / week
Elimination Period (in days) As soon as 14 days Spouse Coverage Available? Yes
Benefit Duration 3, 6 or 12 months Dependent Coverage Available? Yes
Is the Benefit Taxable? No Does the Policy Build Cash-Value? Yes
Is the Policy Portable? Yes Is the Policy Portable Yes
The accident policy is designed to help you pay unexpected out-of-pocket expenses associated with treatment for accidents. Out-of-pocket expenses can include deductibles, co-payments, treatment costs, etc. This plan provides benefits for initial care and treatment in addition to the follow up care you may need. This plan covers you on and off the job. Policies are available for you and your family.
With Colonial's Short-Term Valuable protection that provides a lump sum benefit payment that you can use as you want when diagnosed with a critical illness (cancer, heart attack, stroke and 12 other covered illnesses). Focus more on your recovery and less on your finances. Benefit amounts are available from $5,000 to $100,000. Policies are available for you and your family.
With Colonial's Short-Term Colonial's Term Life Insurance is designed to meet your specific needs. You choose the death benefit amount and the term period (10, 20 and 30 year term). This policy enables you to tailor coverage for your individual needs and helps provide financial security for your family members. Policies are available for you and your family.
Important Notice Insurance coverage has exclusions and limitations that may affect benefits payable. For a complete description of benefits, limitations and exclusions, please refer to an outline of coverage, sample policy/certificate, proposal description or see your Colonial Life benefits counselor. Coverage type, benefits and rates vary by state. Coverage may not be available in all states. Colonial Life products are underwritten by Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company, for which Colonial Life is the marketing brand. Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company "Colonial Life," and the Colonial Life logo, separately and in combination, are service marks of Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company.
- All policies will become effective on January 1, 2016. Payroll deductions for the previous carrier of our voluntary benefits (ING) will end on December 31, 2015
- Our on-site, open enrollment will be held from October 6, 2015 until November 30, 2015.
- During this open enrollment, short term disability insurance and permanent whole life insurance are being offered on a guaranteed-issue basis. No one can be declined. There will be no underwriting. You can still sign up for these policy(ies) outside of open enrollment, however, medical underwriting will apply and you could be declined for coverage. We strongly suggest you consider participating during the open enrollment.
- The short term disability insurance plan does not coordinate with any other benefit you may collect on if you were to become disabled. The policy pays in addition to any other benefits you are covered by.
- Benefits Counselors from Colonial Life will be on-site at each station at the following times:
Location Day, Date, Time
Hyde Park Tuesday October 6th 6:00 AM until 4:30 PM
Waltham Thursday October 8th 6:00 AM until 4:30 PM
Mass Ave Tuesday October 13th 6:00 AM until 4:30 PM
Mass Ave Wednesday October 14th 2:00 PM until 11:30 PM
Mass Ave Thursday October 15th 4:30 AM until 8:30 AM
Westwood Tuesday October 20th 6:00 AM until 4:30 PM
Marth's Vineyard Thursday October 22nd 1:00 PM until 4:30 PM
Yarmouth Tuesday October 27th 6:00 AM until 4:30 PM
Plymouth Thursday October 29th 6:00 AM until 4:30 PM
Somerville Tuesday November 3rd 6:00 AM until 4:30 PM
New Bedford Thursday November 5th 6:00 AM until 4:30 PM
Walpole Tuesday November 10th 6:00 AM until 4:30 PM
Southborough Wednesday November 11th 6:00 AM until 4:30 PM
Union Office Thursday November 12th 10:00 AM until 3:00 PM
- At those times, you will be able to get more information/enroll in any plan you are interested in while you meet with the Colonial Life benefits counselors. You can attend any of the enrollments listed above.
- After the last enrollment on November 12th, we will be scheduling additional 'off-site' locations for added enrollment opportunities and there will be the ability to enroll via call center or web cobrowse.
Premiums for these plans will be administered by Pay Plans & Benefits (PP&B). With PP&B, you will have the option for automatic checking account EFT or credit/debit card payment modes. The premiums will be set up for the weekly deductions (52 deductions annually).
In order to complete your enrollment, you must bring your checking account information or credit/debit card information to establish an initial mode of payment. Colonial Life will not process any applications if this information isn't provided.
We encourage you to learn about these valuable additional options.
Union Vision Center Located at 120 Bay State Drive, Braintree MA will be accepting VSP Insurance for all NSTAR members and retirees.